Often behavior problems can result when teachers do not specifically teach the children how they are supposed to behave throughout the day. We might assume that children will figure this out on their own, or that they should already know these behaviors. This is a big mistake. Think about teaching your behavioral procedures the same way you’d teach a lesson.
- Come into classroom and walk over to coat hooks.
- Look around and make sure there is space between you and the other children.
- Take off coat and hang it on the hook.
- Bring book bag to desk. Take out any papers for the teacher and put them on the corner of your desk.
- Sit down and Look at board for “Do Now” work.
- Begin work.
- Find the blocks you are going to put away.
- Look for the pictures of the shapes on the shelves.
- Put the blocks next to the pictures.